Being a good swimmer is not just about the technique and mastering different styles of swimming. It has also got a lot to do with how an individual behaves in a swimming pool and how many rules is he sternly following. There are many rules and regulations in place as far as swimming pools are concerned. And they are not just based on etiquette and morals but also the safety of young children as well as adults. They have to be followed without fail if one intends to have a safe and enjoyable experience in the pool.
The fact that a pool is somewhat of a hazard for those who can’t swim at all makes these rules and regulations even more important. Despite the presence of so many rules, there are many accidental deaths that occur in swimming pools every year. Most of these are of children which are all the more distressing. And that is why it is very important to have an awareness of these rules and actually follow them strictly along with making sure that those around you are also following these rules. The following are some basic rules and regulations that one must follow when in a swimming pool area for their own safety as well as that of others:
- If you are new at the pool, make sure you accompany a coach or a guide with you. Most people think that being at a pool is all about fun but it is very important to first properly learn the tricks and tips of swimming and only then indulge in any kind of swimming based fun activities. Hiring a professional swimming coach can ensure your safety as well as speed up the process of learning.
- If you are a beginner, stay at the shallow end. This is another one of those things that everybody knows but fails to strictly follow. The deep end of the pool is only for professionals and experts. It is strictly forbidden for beginners to wander around the deep end of the pool.
- Wear proper swimming attire when at the pool. This one is self-explanatory. It is not only better for a person to be in a proper bathing suit but also helps in maintaining the standards of the pool. So before even going to the pool make sure that you have shopped for all the swimming wear plus gear to make your experience more effective.
- Supervise children if they accompany you to the pool. Never leave the children alone at the pool without any supervision. While most of the swimming pools have a designated lifeguard, some smaller pools may not be able to afford this facility. So it is the responsibility of the parents and the guardians to take care of the children.
- If you are sick, then skip the pool. Bacteria and viruses are more infectious in the medium of water than air. So if you are not feeling very good or are suffering from the common cold or a fever, it is just better to skip swimming on that day. This is not only good for your own health but also for all the other people who might go swimming in the pool.
- Maintaining proper personal hygiene is another thing that is required of regular swimmers. Because swimming pools are usually shared by a lot of people, it is important to maintain a standard cleanliness and sanitation when it comes to being in the water. So showering before and after the swim is one of the best practices to ensure personal hygiene.
- It is better to not go swimming when one is under the influence of any drugs or alcohol. This is a very dangerous thing to do because under the influence, a person usually fails to control his own body movements in the water and this can cause drowning and loss of life. So never go to the pool under the influence.
- Take special precautions while walking along the pool. It may seem trivial but a lot of people slip because of the presence of the water everywhere and it can cause some serious injury if proper care is not taken. Falling in the deep end of the pool is even more dangerous.
- Using good and reliable floatation devices if you are a beginner is a clever and safe thing to do. While it is always a good idea to swim only under supervision if you are still learning, sometimes you might have to go alone. During this time, if you are using proper floatation devices, then your safety is automatically ensured.
- If you do not have expertise or permission, refrain from diving into the pool. Especially at the shallow end. Diving at the shallow end can cause serious injury and if you black out because of any head injury then there is potential danger of even drowning. So do not dive unless under the supervision of an expert.
- Food and drinks are not allowed inside the swimming pool area. Any leftovers or spills can result in the formation of bacteria if left unnoticed. So under no circumstances is one allowed to carry any kind of food near the pool. In any case, it is best to avoid eating just before going for swimming.
So the above are the various kinds of rules and regulations that one must follow when embarking on the practice of swimming. It is not only better for you as an individual but also those around you if everyone abided by these rules strictly without making any exceptions. This will enhance the swimming experience of people and make them want to come back to the pool. And it is necessary to have a conducive environment in the pool area so that people are encouraged to go swimming as it is a very effective and efficient physical activity that increases the health of a person. So make sure that you, your children and then those around you follow the rules and keep the pool clean.